By following what is known as a ketogenic diet, the body eventually goes into a metabolic state called ketosis? Most people then ask the question “but how what is a ketogenic diet?” We’ll address each individual question below.
What is a ketogenic diet?
In short, the “keto diet” as it is more commonly known, consists of a low-carb, high fat diet. It has been effective for weight loss, epilepsy and diabetes. (Sources: One, Two, Three). What exactly then is meant by “low carbs”? Typically, carbs are limited to 20–50 grams per day. For those who might find this a little more challenging, there are supplements and other products designed to help with these cravings and to replace some of the items that may be missing from this lifestyle.
One of the easier ways to get a better picture of this is to include the top foods to eat while on a ketogenic diet.
Below are 10 of the most popular food items on the keto menu a some of their known benefits!
1. Low Carb Veggies
· Examples include, but not entirely limited to, the following: cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, kale, and spinach.
· Many are true superfoods!
· Besides being incredibly healthy, avocados may also improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
· Avocados are also loaded with fiber which means you can feel full longer.
· Known to improve mental health
· Known to lower insulin levels
4. Cheese (bet you didn’t see that one coming)!
· Cheese is high in saturated fat but not known to increase the risk of heart disease.
· Ricotta cheese may even increase muscle mass.
· Eggs are one of the most versatile items on the list.
· They are shown to trigger a feeling of fullness which means you’re less likely to overeat or eat things that might not work well with keto.
6. Coconut Oil
· Contains Lauric acid and
· Contains MCT (medium-chain triglycerides)
· Both MCT and Lauric acid help promote sustainable level of ketosis.
7. Meat and Poultry
· Considered keto staple foods
· Best to choose grass fed when possible
8. Butter and Cream
· These contribute to the good fats that are needed
· These are rich in conjugated linoleic acid that may promote fat loss
9. Dark Chocolate and Cocoa Powder
· Delicious source of antioxidants
· May reduce the risk of heart disease
10. Shirataki Noodles
· Known to slow down food movement to decrease hunger
· Can be purchased easily online and are a great addition to keto.
This is just a short list. As you can see, there are some surprising options on the menu! There are also keto cookbooks to stir up some delicious ideas. Bon Appetite!